Skip to main content

Health Professsions Council silent about doctors accused of culpable homicide

This is an update about our October/November 2017 complaints to the Health Professions Council of South Africa against Groote Schuur and Western Cape Health Department doctors and officials (see elsewhere in this blog). This is the text of the email to the legal department's record officer Sylvia Makgwadi on March 4:

"In her email of 30/10/208 Keabetswe Mokwena told me she would contact me in December to inform me of the preliminary inquiry's decision. She did not, and her automatic reply to my last email of January 15 stated she's no longer with complaints.

I've heard nothing from anyone since. Obviously, the HPCSA doesn't care or is too dysfunctional, inept and/or captured.

Nevertheless, please give me the name and contact numbers of the legal officer assigned, that is, if one was and/or ask him/her to call me. In the event you or anyone is bothered to reply, I'm not interested in excuses so please spare me that.

Due to your recalcitrance I have two options: giving it up as a bad job or wasting money on a lawyer's letter forcing you to do your jobs and follow the law you're meant to uphold. In either case, I'm reluctant to throw good money after bad.

For information, I notified the OHSC (Stella Hartzenberg) of the case and mentioned Mokwena reneged on her promise to contact me (violation of just administrative action) and the HPCSA apparently making the case dormant."

There was no response at the time of writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the corrupt Health Professions Council

In 2015 the minister of health found the Health Professions Council (HPCSA) is “in a state of dysfunction”. The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is investigating staff who allegedly took bribes for medical registrations and exam passes. Whistleblowers reported it. Dr Wouter Basson won related cases against the HPCSA’s disciplinary committees in the Gauteng High Court and Supreme Court of Appeal for bias and conflict of interest.   Two members of the committee of the inquiry into complaints about his apartheid-era work were among those who had brought charges against him for.   Recently I laid charges against the HPCSA and members of its Third Preliminary Committee of Inquiry.   A member of the committee had a prior and ongoing business relationship with one of the respondents at the time the case was heard in November and May 2019.   That was a significant factor in the miscarriage of justice (see in this blog).   The committee was biased in favo...

Launch of Health Sector Anti-Corruption Forum

Rot in the woodpile   On 1 October 2019 President Cyril Ramaphosa launched the Health Sector Anti-Corruption Forum (HSACF).  The noble objectives are to “fight against fraud and corruption in the health sector who will together prevent, detect and prosecute fraud and corruption”.  Among its members are the National Prosecutions Authority, SA Police Service, Special Investigations Unit and Health Professions Council (HPCSA). However, already there’s rot in the anti-corruption woodpile.   Putting aside that the NPA is in a continual state of paralysis, what Sunday Times columnist Barney Mthombothi called “chaos and incompetence” among his severe criticism of Ramaphosa (18/08/2019).   Ditto for SAPS and HPCSA, which itself is touched by the stink of corruption. In 2015 the minister of health said the HPCSA is “in a state of dysfunction”.  The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is investigating bribes for medical registrations and exam passes t...

Groote Schuur Hospital's unsatisfactory service: ineffective patient flow

This is an edited version of an email I sent Groote Schuur Hospital's director of outpatients Dr Tunc Numanoglu on March 7. On Thursday 7 I called one of Groote Schuur Hospital’s (GSH) outpatient clinics over a period of an hour about an appointment.   The phone was either engaged, rang unanswered or twice a person who didn't identify which department it is answered, mumbling almost incoherently.   To my question if she's the receptionist to make appointments, she replied that person was “on tea” and will be “back at 9.30” despite it already been 9.45 and the second time 10.30 when I called.   On tea for an hour?   I didn't understand and gave up.   I emailed the hospital’s outpatients director, Dr Tunc Numanoglu, asking him to refer my request to them.  I was at the clinic last October for test results. An appointment for that date was made soon after my previous visit in August.   I waited from 9am until after 2pm to be seen by the doctor ...